Thursday, February 12, 2009

Whose World? BLAINE'S WORLD!

Enlightened Comedy is...
when someone truly groks your book, message, conversation, action, humor... I'm deeply appreciative of Blaine from blainesworld.net sharing with his audience what he gleaned from our book: You Can't Get It 'Cause You've Already Got It!

Also I grok his philosophy ""Service is the rent we pay for living on Earth."

By the way his website is a little freaky the way Blaine's photo randomly winks back at me :)

From: BGinBC@aol.com
Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:16 AM
Subject: BLAINESWORLD #625
To: blainesworld@blainesworld.net

Click here to view award winning educator, Blaine Greenfield's entire post.

BLAINESWORLD
#625
9.22.2008

4. Reviews

C. The idea of a blind figure skater and visionary writer combining forces to produce an inspirational guide to moving through life seemed to be one that would be difficult to carry off . . . but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Stash Serafin and Ruth Anne Wood succeeded doing just that in their book, YOU CAN'T
GET IT 'CAUSE YOU'VE ALREADY GOT IT! (See also Section 10.)

In reading it, I felt that I got to know both authors . . . and what made them tick.

I also learned about skating, writing and life . . . for example, there was this idea contributed by Serafin:

* With a new piece of footwork, there is nothing to see. Then all of a sudden the invisible movements of my skates which were done so slowly become recognizable as I am told I move with such ease, precision and confidence.

I'm often asked; "How can you do such little movements and get such profound results?" I have practiced two inch jumps done with tiny movements that soon

(observers would tell) got suddenly higher without any effort on my part. I used to think that all skilled jumpers were able to move with this same level of ease.

And I also learned from Wood how writing certain thoughts down
can help in many ways, including this one:

* We call this the "Aha!" moment which comes when we realize we already have what we want and can easily ask for more of what we enjoy receiving or having. And Scripting for Success is a great way to clarify what you want by writing it down in a story or a success headline.

Reading your script every time you want to feel good, is an excellent way
to stay focused on what you want.

Lastly, Wood got me thinking about how learning can take place even when you don't plan on it taking place--such as when she talked about the inspiration she got for naming her characters:

* I would get an idea for a character and then let it simmer for awhile. Then one day, I would open a book, or surf the Internet, and I would find that the qualities and descriptions I gave to my key characters echoed common cultural archetypes through the ages. In essence, I was getting an honorary degree in anthropology, just by investigating my own multi-layered characters. They were far wiser and more embedded in the culture's psyche than I could have consciously devised.

Do read this informative book by Serafin and Wood if you're in the mood for something a bit different . . . and that will make you think.

D. I first discovered the concept of flow several years ago when I was working at home on a grievance matter that I was handling for my teacher's union . . . all of a sudden, I was interrupted by a call from my massage therapist . . . she was asking why I wasn't in her office for my appointment.

Now massages are one of the things I REALLY look forward to . . . yet I had been so "into" what I was doing that the appointment completely skipped my mind.

Sometime thereafter, I became acquainted with the work of esteemed psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and his work on this subject . . . so when I just got the chance to hear

FLOW: THE PSYCHOLOGY OF OPTIMAL EXPERIENCE--written by and featuring the author--I jumped at the opportunity to learn even more.

And learn I did in this fascinating book . . . most of all, I became acquainted with the following major components of the flow experience:

* There's clarity of goals.

* Feedback is immediate. You know moment-by-moment how well
you're doing.

* The challenges of the activity are matched with the skills of the person.

* There's a feeling of focus on what you're doing.

* Everyday frustrations are removed from your attention.

* You feel that you can be control of your life.

* You also lose a sense of self-consciousness.

* And as I previously observed, a sense of time is transformed.

10. A quote I like

Joy and fulfillment for me is about having the flexibility to do what I want,when I want to do it, without anyone pushing me.--Stash Serafin, blind figure skater in YOU CAN'T GET IT 'CAUSE YOU'VE ALEADY GOTTEN IT! (see also Section 4C), a book he co-authored with Ruth Anne Wood

Click here to view award winning educator, Blaine Greenfield's entire post.

No comments: