Sunday, March 15, 2009

Comedy Weekend

We thoroughly enjoyed Jay McPhillips' work and open house at Zen is Art Gallery at 35 north Union, Lambertville, PA so much so that my husband Jason came home with a hilarious Jay Phillips original to hang in his office. It's a pen and ink of a loosely drawn giant water tower next to a small house with a real estate listing that has you rolling around on the floor laughing. He took the least attractive feature and capitalized on it as a buyer selling point! Jay's a Class Act.

I told Jay my idea I had a couple days ago for an art piece which he enthusiastically took to heart with much visual input from our friends... I look forward to his artistic renderings of a "Tryathon", It's like a triathlon with the endurance sports event consisting of running, biking, and swimming over various distances yet the participants fall just short of their goal of crossing the finish line. Maybe that's why Yoda says "There is no try, only do"

It was a nice warm up to the first meeting of The Philadelphia Sketch Comedy Writing Meetup Group. I had a blast meeting other comedy writers and having the beginnings of a sketch comedy project with various story lines started. The plan is to collaborate online using google docs and film our best ideas in the next month or so for a youtube production. Fun Stuff. I told them about EnlightenedJoke.com including my definition of an Enlightened Comic (someone that shares personal feelings and experiences and avoids judgment or criticism of others) and they looked a me with disbelief as if I just said I discovered anti-gravity or said there was still a chance for "W" to go down as the best US President in history. Enlightened Comedy isn't for everyone. I agree it's an acquired taste. :-)

Written for Philly Comedy Fans
Ruth Anne Wood © 2009 Scripting for Success

No comments: