Saturday, February 20, 2010

Spell it Right

For someone who writes so much, I'm embarrassed that my spelling is so atrocious.

You'd think the birthday cards my grandmother sent back to me in my childhood with red "sp" marks through the letters would spur me to practice my spelling.

The problem is when I started to care I got a thing called Spell Check on my computer.

You give it your best shot, type out the word, see that something is misspelled and right click on the word and it automatically gives you alternative spelling options to the one you've chosen. It becomes so automatic that I stop thinking about learning the new spelling and using it in a sentence.

It's kind of annoying that the words I've always known how to spell are suddenly wrong... according to my email spell checker.

My favorite word is now f-a-v-o-u-r-i-t-e now that my browser is on the British setting.

And my neighbors live much further away now that I spell them n-e-i-g-h-b-o-u-r-s.

© 2010 Scripting for Success Ruth Anne Wood
For Writers Who Need Help Spelling

No comments: