Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Is The Carrot Mightier Than The Sword?

How marketers fend off hate mongers with carrots rather than swords...

Joe's problem was that a computer manufacturer with the initials of D.E.L.L. ruined his computer with online tech support. For a week he was complaining about it. Then today Joe explained he just bought a new server!

And my husband asked , "Well, you didn't buy from DELL, did you?"And Joe said, "they gave me 'free' pro support!" And he is now a fan of DELL again. The point is DELL messed up his life royally for a whole week and got away with it because DELL'S CARROT was mightier than Joe's sword.

And that's how a fair amount of these internet marketers retain customers and deflect negative feedback.

It's like saying "I get eight free ads from a large media PR firm after taking their "Million dollar author crash course". Instead of going to my credit card company and demanding my $4500 "investment" back for something that hasn't made me a million dollars yet, the promise of using those eight "free" ads keeps me on the hook. Don't get me wrong I'd gladly pay that amount again in a year or two for such a great steady diet of carrots.

Written for Enlightened Marketers
Ruth Anne Wood © 2009 Scripting for Success

No comments: