Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Another Enlightened Comic!

Thanks, Fran, for reminding me how much I like Shel Silverstein. Your post inspired some poetry writing of my own. After all a poet, artist, playwright, children's book publisher, comic and word smith ought to read up on such an Enlightened Comic!

Tryin' On Clothes

I tried on the farmer's hat,
Didn't fit...
A little too small -- just a bit
Too floppy.
Couldn't get used to it,
Took it off. tryin' on clothes

I tried on the dancer's shoes,
A little too loose.
Not the kind you could use
for walkin'.
Didn't feel right in 'em,
Kicked 'em off.

I tried on the summer sun,
Felt good.
Nice and warm -- knew it would.
Tried the grass beneath bare feet,
Felt neat.
Finally, finally felt well dressed,
Nature's clothes fit me best.

Written by Shel Silverstein

Dancin' 'Cause I Can

I walked on the road
'cause the sidewalk was icy wet.
As I was walking, I made up a little dance
that hasn't caught on just yet...

It's two steps forward
a slip and wobble to the left
and an deep sigh of relief.
Then the dance starts up
all over again.

In a couple of days new dance steps are added
sloosh, slosh SPLASH!

In the spring
when my fever for fresh air and sun light is high
It's stroll, stroll
twirl with the peach blossoms
that dance in the breeze
Caught in step with me!

Written for Shel Silverstein
Ruth Anne Wood © 2008 Scripting for Success

No comments: