Thursday, December 11, 2008

Free "Sample"

I go through the drive thru of a new coffee shop around eleven pm, just of the turn pike. There is still a backhoe in the front parking lot and I am greeted by a friendly baristo. Yea, I think that's what you call a male worker in an espresso bar. It’s obvious English isn’t his first language and when he asks me what I want I say, “One Espresso, please.”

“A what?” I hear him echo back.

“One Espresso, please.”

“Excuse me, sir, can you please pull around.”

Once I get to the pick up window he motions to park and come inside. My wife watches as I wait for him to unlock the front door. The baristo asks me again what I want.

“Espresso”, I point to stack of the smallest cups.

“Ah, you mean sample.”

He proceeds to fill the cup with the espresso machine. “Here you go, sir.”

I take out my wallet, ready to pay the man. “No charge for the sample,” he insists.

We give each other a courteous nod as I thank him for the ‘sample’. My wife and I savor the taste and humbling story of our “free sample” all the way home.

Written for Jay Leno
Ruth Anne Wood © 2008 Scripting for Success

No comments: