Monday, December 8, 2008

Car Name- "Lurch" and Friends...

Since I started driving, I've named most of my cars.

My first car in 1995 was a stick shift tan Volvo 10 years old with 100,000 miles and cost $1,000.00. I named her "Lurch" -no reflection on the new driver of course :) At one point the starter died and every time I wanted to turn it on I'd put the key in the ignition, popped the hood and took a copper wire my boy friend rigged up for me to spark the battery. The car started right up. Later my friend's dad, a big model train enthusiast, concerned with his daughter's transportation for the evening, installed a train toggle switch through Lurch's heating duct and all I had to do was press the red button to start my Volvo - A decade later I found out how in vogue Lurch was when my husband pressed a button to start the Lotus he test drove.

The second car was "Beamer" for obvious reasons and later renamed to Phantom when the clock radio started working again after a year. It surely had something to do with knocking things loose after driving over the curb earlier that week. The following day a hanus whining, siren, noise filled the air as my car savvy boyfriend couldn't figure out how to stop the howling noise we could hear across the yard and inside our brick twin house. The noise under the hood stopped on it's own, an hour later and the name, Phantom stuck.

The third car, "Oreo" was a Toyoda Tercel black interior with white exterior.

The fourth car was a 1994 Ford Mustang convertible. It didn't have any pet names. Except oh @#%%! when a SUV totaled it the day after I replaced the plane white hood with a scoop and blue and white racing stripes.

The fifth car was a Turquoise green KIA Sophia and we just called her Sophie after the leading lady in my screen play, "Five Rites". A deer that jumped in front of the grille renamed it an inconvenience when it totaled my car a couple blocks from my home.

I stopped buying cars after that since we live near the center of town and I work from home. I just ride my bike, borrow my husband or Dad's car when Dad's away or use public transportation.

Written for WKVL (850 AM) , a 50,000-watt station in Knoxville, TN http://ricmorgan.com/
Ruth Anne Wood © 2008 Scripting for Success

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the customized message...that was very thoughtful of you.

Ric Morgan
Co-Host
Car Concerns
WKVL 850 AM Knoxville
carconcerns.com

RUTH ANNE WOOD (RAW) said...

And thanks Rick you for your sharing of enlightened comedy:

40 Motivational Speeches In 2 Minutes